Simmer hearty chickpeas with Tex-Mex spices and our mild chipotle sauce, and you'll have a plant-based protein that will see everyone wiping their plates clean. Serve over fluffy garlic rice to soak up all the saucy, cheezy deliciousness, and add the finishing touch with a zingy, corn-studded salsa.
This recipe is under 650kcal per serving.
Farmers across Australia are still experiencing the impacts of the recent heavy rains. This is affecting our supply of fresh veggies and as such, you may notice some changes to your ingredients. Don’t worry, your recipe will be just as delicious!
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.com.au/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed.
chickpeas(May be present Gluten, Lupin, Soy)
baby spinach leaves
mild chipotle sauce(ContainsSoy)
Tex-Mex spice blend(May be present Gluten)
plant-based shredded Cheddar cheese
white wine vinegar
water (for the rice)
water (for the chickpeas)
• Finely chop garlic. • In a medium saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Cook 1/2 the garlic until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Add basmati rice, the water (for the rice) and a generous pinch of salt and bring to the boil. • Reduce heat to low, then cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat. • Keep covered until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 10 minutes.
TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam, so don't peek!
• While the rice is cooking, drain sweetcorn. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Grate carrot. Set aside. • Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Cook corn kernels until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. • While the corn is cooking, roughly chop baby spinach leaves and tomato. Thinly slice red onion.
TIP: Cover the pan with a lid if the corn kernels are "popping" out.
• In a small heatproof bowl, combine onion, the white wine vinegar, a splash of water and a good pinch of sugar and salt. • Microwave pickled onion mixture in 30 second bursts until softened. • To the bowl with the charred corn, add pickled onion, the spinach and tomato. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Return frying pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. • Cook carrot, stirring, until tender, 2-3 minutes.
• SPICY! The spice blend is mild, but use less if you're sensitive to heat. Add Tex-Mex spice blend, tomato paste and remaining garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Stir in the chickpeas, mild chipotle sauce (see ingredients), the water(for the chickpeas) and the plant-based butter. Simmer until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. • Season, then sprinkle evenly with plant-based shredded Cheddar cheese. Cover with a lid or foil until cheese is slightly melted, 2-3 minutes.
• Divide garlic rice between bowls. Top with chickpeas. • Serve with pickled onion salsa. Enjoy!